Computer Training Program (CTP)
Statement of Purpose
At The Lighthouse for the Blind, Inc., the Computer Training Program (CTP) exists to increase and support independence, self-sufficiency, and upward mobility in the workplace for adults who are blind through training and access to computer technology.
All Employee and Community Services (ECS) programming offers each individual the opportunity to increase their skills in an environment that supports independence, choice, and control over matters impacting each participant. We invite and rely upon consumer involvement and input.
Computer Training Program Services
The Computer Training Program provides instruction in assistive and mainstream technologies to employees who are blind or have low vision. We provide comprehensive training and support in computers, mobile computing, and related technologies. This training and access to specialized technology increases opportunity for advancement in the workplace, increased personal independence, and increased technological literacy.
Features of the Computer Training Program include:
- Instructors who use assistive technology themselves
- A lab that is open for use daily Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- A wide array of classes covering software, hardware, assistive technology, basic or advanced use.
- Curriculum that is tailored to the needs and goals of each participant.
- Classes can be provided for individuals or group settings.
Individual classes and services include:
- Basic computer navigation
- Email programs
- MS Office Suite: Word, Excel, etc
- Internet navigation
- Online bill paying
- Online ordering and delivery requests
- Assistive technology such as screen magnification or screen readers
- Use of technology such as refreshable braille displays and note takers
- iOS devices and mobile technology
Lighthouse, Inland Northwest Lighthouse or Base Supply Center employees who are legally blind are eligible to participate in classes provided through the Computer Training Program.
The Computer Training Program is funded through community support. We rely on financial contributions from local corporations, foundations, service organizations and individuals.
All community support for Lighthouse programs is channeled through the Seattle Lighthouse for the Blind Foundation, whose sole purpose is to gather community support for fulfillment of the Seattle Lighthouse mission. Participants do not pay tuition fees.