Title: Temp Buyer
Department: Base Supply Center
Reports To: BSC Purchasing Agent
Hours: Full Time
Assists with all purchasing activities in support of BSC’s. Coordinates with stores to assure timely purchase and receipt of merchandise to meet customer’s requirements. Provide exceptional customer service to help or understand customers with regards to appropriate product selection. Maintains good rapport with suppliers. Fills in as cashier during seasonal busy times. May fill in at receiving several times per year so that entire process is well understood.. This is a temporary full time position.
- Listens and helps customers find required products. Gathers technical data and/or detailed product specifications.
- Provides outstanding communication with store personnel and customers regarding special requests.
- Tracks special order requests from start through completion.
- Keeps current regarding office products, understanding selling points, brand advantages and model differences. Educates customers regarding product use. Must thoroughly research products prior to recommending to assure product will meet customers requirement – never GUESS.
- Inventory/Transactional Responsibilities
- Purchases store inventory based on sales history, forecasted quantities, min/max stocking level or special customer requests.
- Analyzes sales history to determine sales trends and suggests minimum reorder and quantities. Suggests inventory levels based on goals considering; costs, transportation, and restocking lead times to meet customer expectations.
- Assures system integrity by regularly auditing transactions. Balances inventory levels to ensure ability to meet customer demand while limiting amount of capital $$$ tied up in inventory.
- Assists in identifying, selling and/or disposing of slow moving and obsolete inventory.
- Assists with inventory counts and reconciliation.
- Educates store personnel on new products to improve sales volume.
- Reports inventory turns, identifies potential problems and recommends solutions such as vendor returns, price changes or marketing activities. Works closely with Merchandising/Inventory Specialist and Store Manager to reduce loss on obsolete inventory by identifying early.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with suppliers.
- Requests and reviews quotations for unique/special buys. Selects suppliers based on “best value” for customer.
- Evaluates supplier costs, quality and delivery on an ongoing basis.
- Maintains vendor records, POC’s, pricelists, contract information, passwords, ordering instructions, catalogs and product information.
- Makes effort to remain aware of new technologies, products and suppliers that can help BSC’s improve sales and margins.
- Must be familiar with AbilityOne agencies, their product offering and capabilities.
- Uses computer systems to monitor, evaluate, prioritize and plan purchase orders. Works closely with suppliers to coordinate and communicate priority purchase orders and expedite as required. Monitors open purchase orders. Updates PO notes and store managers regarding delayed merchandise or supplier problems.
- Update PO detail to reflect revised delivery dates, changes in costs, canceled quantities or any other adjustments necessary to keep store personnel current and records accurate for accounting.
- Introduces new ideas and suggestions to improve processes and maintain system accuracy.
Communication and Teamwork
- Works assigned hours. Responsible for accuracy of time sheet. Notifies supervisor of any absence per policy.
- Communicates to supervisor regarding any uncertainty of work instruction.
- Maintain product quality and standards of the store by constantly facing products, making sure older products are in front to get sold and any carton/product damage should be fixed or reported for disposition.
- Maintains professional appearance. Represents LH and AbilityOne in a positive manner.
- Must desire to work in a high “trust” organization. Maintains team philosophy, good relationships and promotes LHB mission.
- Complies with all LH and store policies and procedures.
- Complies with BSC “Best Practices” standards.
- Complies with safety requirements.
- Complies with Federal and local legal requirements.
- Complies with base rules and contractual requirements.
- Complies with TAA country of origin requirements
- AA degree or CPM certification required.
- 5+ years experience in Purchasing with thorough understanding of purchasing functions and order flow.
- Ability to read drawings, understand technical specifications, MIL-SPEC, NSN’s and other governing laws or regulations concerning lawful government procurement.
- Must be able to lift up to 50lbs (box of copy paper) using safe lifting techniques throughout shift. Lifting cartons off floor, onto carts, then unpacking to stock shelves. Working on concrete floors that may be uneven. Standing, stooping, bending, stretching throughout shift. Physical demands are high throughout shift.
- Must be able to safely use warehouse equipment, climb ladders and load and unload delivery vehicles.
- Temperature fluctuates and is hard to regulate in extreme hot and cold months.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Should be able to communicate in a pleasant, polite, and professional manner with both customers and employees. The manager deals with many different types of people and they must have the judgment and skills to use effective tactics for each situation.
- Proficient with basic math, MS Office products and able to use POS system, write memos, prepare meeting agenda, and monthly reports. Ability to build basic spreadsheets with simple formula’s in Excel. Produce monthly reports or prepare informational spreadsheets.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Maintain Professionalism (Dress, Appearance, Manners)
- Keep your customers happy always. Guide them.
- Customers must be satisfied. Must patiently listen, listen, listen. Customers should be treated with respect at all times. Take time to talk with customers, new products, how cool something is, etc.
- Current with latest trends, products, etc
- Excellent analytical, common sense and sound decision making
- Must be good with numbers.
- Must be able to use office business machines and equipment (phones, fax, copier, paging system)
- Must be organized, keep documentation filed and archived per record retention policies.
- Good analytical ability. Able to problem solve.
- Must work with a high degree of accuracy, checking work daily.
- Should be able to communicate in a pleasant, polite, and professional manner with both customers and co-workers. Should be able to answer routine customer questions and direct them to the appropriate person for resolution.
- Fluent English, written and spoken. Excellent communication. Clear written, verbal skills.
- To prepare for promotions and growth, learning best practices, becoming proficient in job duties, communicating well with your supervisor and demonstrating excellent dependability will make you promotable either within your store or other BSC locations.
- We represent The Lighthouse for the Blind, the AbilityOne program, NIB and all other non-profit agencies devoted to blind and low-vision missions.
- Uniform, approved apparel and name tags/ID required.
Commitment to LH mission.
- Desire to participate/engage in community – volunteer work, etc.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com or to:
Attn.: Kevin Daniel
2501 S. Plum Street
Seattle, Washington 98144
TTY: (206) 324-1388
To download an application and for more information about employment at the Lighthouse visit our website: www.seattlelighthouse.org