Title: Job Coach
Location: Seattle, Washington
Dept.: Employee and Community Services
Reports to: Supported Employment Supervisor
Hours: Full-time (40hrs wkly.), Monday – Friday, Days
The Lighthouse is a mission-driven, private, not-for-profit social enterprise providing employment, support, and training opportunities for people who are blind, DeafBlind, and blind with other disabilities.
We are a successful manufacturing organization with over 60 years of experience in precision machining as well as being a professional service provider and federal contractor. We produce an array of machined parts and plastic injection molding for various aerospace manufacturers, as well as a host of office products and hydration equipment. The Lighthouse also offers a variety of services to our commercial, federal, and military customers. These include Contract Management Support (CMS) services for government contracting offices and a Contact Center which places and receives inbound and outbound calls. We also own and operate stores on military bases along the West Coast.
If you are interested in being a part of a dynamic and engaged social enterprise that values: Accessibility, Accountability, Communication, Community, Confidentiality, Respect, Safety, Teamwork, Training, and Upward Mobility, you are encouraged to apply for the below position.
This position provides employment supports such as vocational training, supervision, and support to employees with developmental disabilities who are also blind, Deafblind, and blind with other disabilities. The expected outcome is integration of employees into various departments and to enhance employability and employee development within the Lighthouse.
Essential Job Functions:
- Teach vocational and job skills to supported employees
- Maintain files, provide documentation, data collection, reports, and summaries as needed; support the payroll process
- Support independence with Independent Living skills such as personal hygiene (e.g. hand washing and occasional toileting issues, etc.) as necessary for job success
- Generate ideas for jigs and necessary adaptations to job to increase independence, productivity, and job repertoire
- Support job creation in all appropriate areas of the Lighthouse by communicating with managers, supervisors, and leads to identify and learn jobs.
- Act as Advocate for assigned employees to ensure the employee’s vocational needs, desires, and goals are known, addressed, and accomplished.
- Support, implement, report on, and follow up on Positive Behavior Support and Behavior Intervention Plans and programming.
- Work closely with Production Department staff and employees to develop positive, consistent relationships and communication to ensure opportunities and inclusion in natural supports for employees.
- Actively participate in staff trainings and meetings by attending regularly, sharing information, contributing ideas, facilitating and actively listening.
- Participate in the development and implementation of a community-based, external job coaching program.
- Ensure safe working environment for employees at all times.
- Positively and actively represent and promote the Supported Employment Program both within and outside of the Lighthouse
- Maintain regular attendance to ensure adequate coverage
- Other duties as become necessary, appropriate and required
- BA in Special Education, Rehabilitation or related field
- One or more years of experience working with adults who have a developmental disability in a vocational setting
- Demonstrated skills, flexibility and sensitivity in training developmentally disabled, blind or Deaf-Blind adults
- Demonstrated ability to work as a “Team Member”
- ASL level 6 (preferred)
Though you may meet the requirements for work eligibility in the United States, this position requires that you meet special government/military compliance regulations (ITAR-International Traffic in Arms Regulations). This means you must be able to provide legal documentation as a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident alien, or other ITAR compliant status.
Equal Opportunity Employer, Male / Female / Persons with Disabilities / VEVRAA
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
The Lighthouse for the Blind, Inc.
Attn.: Kevin Daniel
2501 S. Plum Street
Seattle, Washington 98144
Telephone: (206) 973-4060
Fax: (206) 436-2244